Sunday, March 27, 2011

Another DIY Wreath

Well, I think I officially have a wreath obsession...this weekend I made my 4th homemade wreath, this one for Easter.  The other three I've made before this one have been made with tulle, but this one used Easter eggs!  I got the idea from one I saw at Hobby Lobby and thought, 'I can make that!' - of course when I Googled 'homemade Easter egg wreath' there were tons of how-to tutorials.  So much for being original :)  Here's my version of the process:

I started with a piece of foam board (you could use cardboard) and drew large circles.  I had a cake stand that was 14 in, and a dinner plate that was 12 in, so I used those to trace circles on the foam board.

 I then cut out the circles with a box cutter - the cake stand had scalloped edges, but I just rounded those off to make a true circle - which you can see is not perfect :)

 I used hot glue to attach regular sized Easter eggs around the foam board, with the small end of the egg pointing outward.

 I left a small area at the top with no egg, where the bow will go at the end.

 Next I began layering the eggs, in various positions on top of the ones on the base layer.

 Then I used smaller sized Easter eggs to fill in the holes around the regular sized eggs.

 Just need to add the bow!

Finished product!  I will probably wait until at least the first of April to hang this one.  A few of the tutorials I saw used Easter basket grass to glue in-between the eggs, but I was afraid it would look messy with the hot glue, so I skipped that step.

1 comment:

  1. You are so crafty - I love it! The wreath you made for Jones' shower is hanging on our front door - it is so cute!

    ReplyDelete