Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Birth Story - Introducing Natalie Raines Runnells!

We were scheduled for our c-section at 9am on Friday June 22nd.  I worked from home on Thursday to get some last minute things wrapped up, and Corey took off the afternoon.  We picked Wesley up early from school and just hung out as a family of 3 before we had to take him out to his grandparents house for the night.  Here is our last picture as a family of 3!


We had to be at the hospital 2 hours early on Friday morning, so we left the house around 6:30am.  Last pregnancy picture!


We checked in at 7am and they started getting things going immediately.  I think sitting in the room waiting to go back to surgery was the worst!  We didn't end up going back until about 10am.

 
Once they lead us back, Corey was told to wait outside the OR and get changed while they got me prepped and did my spinal.


Getting the spinal was the worst part - they had to stick me a couple of times because of the titanium rod in my spine from my previous spinal fusion.  I was literately shaking from nerves and fear but the OR team was so great and really made me feel more comfortable.  Once I got the spinal things went really fast - they laid me down and I was numb almost immediately.  My doctor came in and started surgery at 10:09, and Natalie was delivered by 10:10.  I was amazed - fastest delivery ever.


Natalie was whisked off to the nursery with Corey, and they closed me up and sent me to recovery for about an hour.  I remember the nursery called in the OR and gave us her stats - 6lbs 15oz and 18in long.  I remember thinking she was so small!  Wesley was 7lbs 10oz and 19 1/2in when he was born at 41 weeks.


We stayed in the hospital for 2 days (Friday to Sunday) and had a really good experience - all the nurses were really nice and helpful, and the hospital itself was as comfortable as could be expected.  We had lots of visitors, both friends and family.  I really enjoyed having people come see us and meet our new addition!


So far recovery at home has been ok - I think I would say it has been more difficult than my vaginal delivery, but maybe that is because it is still 'fresh' on my mind and its been 2 1/2 years since Wesley was born.  Either way, I'd do it again in a heartbeat for my sweet baby girl - welcome Natalie Raines!



1 comment:

  1. Oh, Sheryl, she is so precious! I'm so glad that everything went well, it sounds like your experience was as good as you can hope for with a major surgery. Can't wait to meet Natalie in person and give everybody a big hug!

    ReplyDelete